NEW KITCHEN READY TO GET COOKING FOR CHRISTMAS
Member for Buninyong, Geoff Howard, officially opened the new kitchen at Ballan District Health and Care (BDHC) which was funded as part of a grant from the Andrews Labor Government’s Regional Health Infrastructure Fund.
“It’s great to see the new kitchen up and cooking in time for Christmas,” Mr Howard said.
“The refurbishment included installation of a custom made freezer room, a blast chiller, gas tilting bratt pan, large bain-marie, a four burner gas cooktop, custom made stainless steel benches, shelving and a dishwasher inlet bench.
“The kitchen currently prepares more than 2,000 meals a week. It caters for patients, aged care residents and all the children attending the Ballan Childcare Centre.
“A weekly meal is also prepared for the Ballan Senior Citizens Centre, as well as meals for community members who depend on Meals on Wheels.
“With its new equipment and improved serving area, it enables BDHC to double cooking capacity to 4,000 meals per week and offer more choice of food to aged care residents, patients and staff.
“The project received $108,671 from the Regional Health Infrastructure Fund, with other contributions including: $10,000 from the Grosvenor Foundation for a new oven and more than $22,000 in community fundraising.
“This is just another example of the Ballan community getting behind this important regional health facility, which has undergone a remarkable transformation over the past decade.
“I’d also like to acknowledge the dedicated staff here who do a remarkable job keeping this community healthy.”
- The kitchen refurbishment doubles cooking capacity from approximately 2,000 meals a week to approximately 4,000 meals a week;
- allows for multiple cooking types and food varieties
- enables permit cooking beyond core services (e.g. baking goods for the opportunity shop’s community espresso bar);
- increases capacity to meet demand for Meals on Wheels; and
- improves the physical work environment for kitchen staff
- the kitchen’s menus are dietitian-designed and cater for complex allergies
- all food is cooked from scratch, suiting both children and those over 65.