November 13, 2012

Kyneton Hospital – Call on State to Sign off on Federal Funding

Local State MP Geoff Howard has called on State Health Minister David Davis to stop playing games and to sign off on the Federal Government’s $6.79 million offer for Kyneton hospital’s ambulatory care centre.

 While visiting Kyneton hospital last week, Mr. Howard said that recent comments from Baillieu Health Minister Davis did not explain why he had not signed off on the agreement made between his own department and the Commonwealth in July last year.

 “Mr. Davis is not serious about addressing the health needs of residents of the Kyneton area. “  

“This agreement should have been signed off over a year ago and instead Minister Davis has raised recently announced Federal budget cuts as smokescreen to avoid explaining why he has not signed off on this significant federal funding offer,” Mr. Howard said.

 Kyneton hospital management were very excited when the Federal government announced it’s $6.79 million support for the new primary care clinic but with no State funding required they have now been kept waiting for over two years for the State to sign off on this funding agreement..

 “Sadly, despite following up with the State Health Department and with Minister Davis on numerous occasions since then, they are still awaiting sign off by the State and have had no real explanation for the delay,” said Mr. Howard

 Mr. Howard said that he would be acting in parliament when it sits next week to call on the Minister to immediately sign off on the project so that the Kyneton Hospital Board can get moving with this project, which would bring great benefit to local residents.

 “I congratulate Kyneton Hospital management on developing this proposal to offer a broader range of medical services on site and will be doing all I can to see these plans become a reality,” he said.

 “Baillieu government inaction should not put this project at risk.”